Advice for New Expats

How to be and Expat | Worker Visas 

According to HSBC, these are the most popular countries that expat workers choose: Singapore, Norway, New Zealand, Germany, Netherlands, Canada, Australia, Sweden, Austria and the UAE. 


Singapore has various employment visas. The main differences are education level, skill level and income. Most visas require that you make a minimum salary. The following visa types are available for Singapore: 

Employment Pass is for Professionals 

EntrePass is for entrepreneurs. 

S Pass is for mid-level skilled workers. 

Work Permit is for semi-skilled or unskilled workers. 


Norway requires a residence permit for any who want to work there. They have a visa for nearly all types of employment, even musicians and artists. The main requirement is that you have an offer of employment. If you want to look for work in Norway, there is a visa for that too. Job seeker permits are only for those offering skilled work, excluding teachers and cooks. If that doesn’t work, permits are available for skilled workers, seasonal workers, diplomats, etc. 

New Zealand 

New Zealand has a wide variety of visa options including entrepreneurs, refugees, and foreigners who may have gotten a job in New Zealand, but lost it. There isn't a visa for those looking for work, but there are working holiday visas for the following countries: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal,, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA, Uruguay, Vietnam 


Germany has a simple process which requires that you get a residence permit. This permit allows you to look for work. Gotta love German efficiency. If you are a member of the following countries, you can apply for the permit after entering Germany- European Union, as well as citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the Republic of Korea. Others must apply before. 


Those outside of the European Economic Area will need to apply for a GVVA which is a combined residency and work permit. Students, Seasonal workers and asylum seekers only need to apply for a TWV employment permit. 


Canada has two types of work permits. The Open Permit allows you to work anywhere and for almost anyone. Students, refugees and those who have applied for a permanent or temporary residency, are eligible for an open permit. The Employer Specific Permit is exactly as it sounds. You work for one company for a specified amount of time at a specific location.   


Most visas for working long-term in Australia require some kind of sponsorship. Even the temporary visas are only available for skilled labor. Expats can use their SkillSelect form to see if they can get a visa. Australia also has working holiday visas for those of you who may not qualify. Working holiday visas are available for less than a year and for young people between 18-30. 


Potential workers outside the EU must apply for a work permit if they have an offer from a Swedish company. Working Holiday visas are only available for Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Korea. Like Australia, it’s only for a year and only for those aged 18-30. 


Temporary residency for employment is available for students and freelancers/self-employed. Seasonal employees will use a category C or category D visa. Highly skilled workers, recent graduates from Austrian Universities, and entrepreneurs can apply for the Red-White-Red card. This allows you to live in Austria for up to 2 years and work for a specified employer. 


Getting a work visa for the UAE requires that you have an employer. Visas are available for skilled and unskilled labor. Given the history of abuses for unskilled labor in the UAE, it’s best for those types of workers to apply for employment through Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation service centers before entering. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the purpose of this is to expedite the process and ensure that potential workers understand their rights and the terms of their contract before they agree to employment. No matter how desperate you may be for a job- DO NOT EVER ALLOW ANYONE TO TAKE YOUR PASSPORT!!

How to Be an Expat | Student Visas 


The world is shrinking and people are forming more connections as a result of social media. Economic and social instability are causing people to leave their native countries. As a result, more people are becoming expats. If you are looking to live in another country, there are a few ways you can do it. 

Student Visa 

A student visa is used for those who wish to study abroad. There are many reasons for people to study abroad. Studying abroad allows people to spend time and learn about others cultures and provides them once in a lifetime experiences that most will not enjoy. You can also learn another language. Learning another language has been shown to improve your intelligence, memory and decision making skills. Studying abroad allows you to network and form relationships that will affect you in the future. It can be as simple as making a new friend or making a potential career connection. Studying abroad can also give you a leg up when it comes to employment. Many corporations are global brands such as- Nike, Samsung, Alibaba, Mercedes, and TD Bank. It can benefit them if you have experience dealing with other cultures and forming positive relationships with foreigners. 

Most countries have two types of student visas- short-term and long-term. It can take up to three months for your student visa to be processed. Costs will vary; some will be very affordable, but most tend to be over a hundred dollars. Student visas usually require other stipulations such as financial minimums, background checks, and proof of residency for your home country. Below is a list of ten popular countries for studying abroad. 


List of 10 Popular Countries for Study Abroad

List of 10 popular Countries for Study Abroad


Visa Type (Name)

Visa Time

Visa Cost


Type D Visa

1-3 weeks 

 $50-70 | €43-60 | £38-54


Type D Visa

2 months

$70 | €60 | £54


Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

3 weeks 

$455 | €394 | £348


Long Term Visa 

2 weeks 

$138 | €99 | £87


Language Course Visa,

Student Applicant Visa,

Student Visa

1 month

$138 | €99 | £87


Australian Student Visa

1-3 months

$430 | €372 | £330


Study (Student) Visa

1-3 months

$27-53 | €24-45 | £21-40


X1 Visa, X2 Visa

1-2 weeks

$140 | €120 | £151


Student Visa

2-6 weeks

$160 | €140 | £123

Costa Rica

Student Visa

1 month

$160 | €140 | £123